I actually thought it was quite hilarious to have the web server return Forbidden when accessing the root of the domain of “paranoidprofessor.com” … well during setup. But now that I have entabled the domain it was time to get serious.
I had been fooling around with some code to redrect from the root to the blog and it was working during testing but now that I need it, not so much.
The offending code
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://blog.paranoidprofessor.com/index.php">
window.location.href = "http://blog.paranoidprofessor.com/index.php"
<!-- Note: don't tell people to `click` the link, just tell them that it is a link. -->
If you are not redirected automatically, follow the <a href='http://blog.paranoidprofessor.com/index.php'>link to blog</a>
Sure, I did have a few differences between this and my test environment but no matter what I did there was no changes at all.
If all else fails, check the logs. Perhaps that should have been my starting point. The Apache error log file tells you exactly what directory it is looking in when it cannot find a file or has an error.
[Thu Oct 29 09:44:15 2015] [error] [client 220.127.116.11] File does not exist: /var/www/vhosts/paranoidprofessor.com/httpdocs/index.html
Thanks to the internet for providing assistance